Luxury holiday cottages surrounded by spectacular views and wildlife, contact us if you have any questions or queries.
Indoor swimming pool
Our indoor swimming pool is open all year and heated to a very comfortable 30 degrees
Indoor Spa Room
We have an indoor spa room with hot tub, wet sauna and dry sauna
Our Tea Room
During summer we open up to provide candy floss, popcorn, ice creams, slush drinks, coffee and our award-winning cream teas.
Video - Wildlife of Orford Mill
This is a short video showing you some of our local wildlife. Please click the image.
Self catering Holiday Cottages in rural Devon with swimming pool, indoor hot tub, wet and dry saunas, tennis court, games room and fishing on the River Torridge. Free high speed Wi-Fi .
Angela and Richard Cooper welcome you to Orford Mill Holiday Cottages in Torrington, North Devon in the West Country. We are a complex of 9 self catering holiday cottages, on the banks of the River Torridge in a beautiful wooded valley just a mile outside the historic town of Great Torrington.
The complex consists of a Grade II listed water mill and manor house, now converted into nine delightful cottages, all equipped to Visit Britain ‘4 Star’ standard. All our cottages retain character features such as exposed beams and stonework, and each is furnished in an individual style to a very high standard. Our facilities include a heated indoor swimming pool, a spa room with hot tub, dry sauna and wet sauna as well as an all weather tennis court, games room and children’s play area with swings, a playhouse and adventure fort. There is also a fully equipped indoor playroom for young children. In addition, fishing rights are available on 200 yards of river (you will need to bring your own licence, or buy one at the local Post Office). All the waterways are safely fenced.
Next door to Orford Mill are the renowned RHS gardens at Rosemoor, and other local attractions include Dartington Crystal, offering a factory tour and visitor centre. Great Torrington is only a mile away with good shopping and amenities, and there is golf at nearby Hartland. Orford Mill adjoins Torrington Common which extends to 365 acres, incorporating 20 miles of footpaths. The common is a haven for wildlife. The ‘Big Sheep’ and ‘Milky Way’ theme parks are each less than 10 miles away.
The ancient port of Bideford is approx 5 miles away, still with a working quay offering boat trips out to Lundy Island. There are splendid beaches at Instow and Westward Ho!, the latter bordered by the Royal North Devon Golf Club, and the Northam Nature Reserve. Further west is the North Cornwall coast, and to the south, the cathedral city of Exeter can be reached via a delightful drive through lush river valleys.
Orford Mill offers very attractive accommodation set in 3 acres of beautiful gardens with streams, waterfalls and the water wheel which is still operational. Excellent as a touring base, it makes a good choice for a holiday whatever the weather.
Each of our cottages is fully furnished, and include:
- Elec, full oil CH (controlled by owner)
- bed linen (excluding cot linen)
- bath towel per person
- Cot or travel cot and high-chair by arrangement
- TV with digital terrestrial channels
- Shared grounds with sitting-out area and furniture
- Gas BBQs for hire by arrangement
- Ample parking
- Shared games roomswith table tennis and pool table, games machines
- Shared indoor heated swimming pool (12ft x 33ft) with changing and shower facilities
- Shared indoor spa room with 4 person hot tub, wet sauna and 4 person dry sauna
- Shared hard all weather tennis court - you will need to bring your own equipment, and tennis shoes – no trainers
- Professional tennis ball machine with wide speed variation from 12-80 mph for hire (over 16s only)
- On-site river fishing (bring your own licence, or purchase at local Post Office)
- Children’s play area with swings and playhouse
- Heidi' Hideaway indoor playroom for young children
- Adventure fort
- No smoking
- The main TV in each cottage is linked to its own individual bird box via colour video/audio camera, providing live images in TV during Spring nesting times